1. If I join one of your psychotherapy or counselling courses, what will I be at the end?

When you have fulfilled all registration or accreditation criteria you will become a nationally recognised registered adolescent counsellor, child counsellor, child psychotherapist, or arts psychotherapist. Just as there are registered doctors and psychiatrists, there are registered psychotherapists and registered counsellors.


2. Who accredits your courses?

Our accrediting bodies include The Health and Care Professions Council, The Accreditation Council for Higher and Independent Education, The United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy. We are a full member of the UKCP. The UKCP is the lead body for registration of psychotherapists in the UK (UKCP is United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy).


3. What is the difference between BACP and UKCP?

The BACP trains counsellors and psychotherapists and the UKCP trains psychotherapists. They are the two main and the largest registering bodies in the UK. If you are applying for a public sector job as a psychotherapist or counsellor, adverts usually ask for someone who is BACP or UKCP registered. Psychotherapy is an in-depth long term treatment, which looks at how unresolved childhood pain is spoiling your life now, and works to resolve this.


4. Are you a member of the Health and Care Professions Council?

Yes, the MA in Integrative Arts Psychotherapy course leads to accreditation with the Health and Care Professions Council. In fact, this is the only course in the UK that leads to UKCP and HCPC accreditation. There is no category for Child Psychotherapists within the HCPC so no child psychotherapist in the UK is HCPC accredited. Instead they are accredited by UKCP or ACP.


5. Why is the course so expensive?

Our training fees are standard for psychotherapy courses. We have to have very high staff to student ratios in order to ensure students have a great deal of ongoing feedback. It is a very responsible thing indeed to work with someone’s mind. IATE is an independent organisation and receives no government funding or grants from higher education funding bodies.


6. Can I get funding?

The Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education is a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider, registration number 1841. A Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning. For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the GOV.UK website or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.


7. What theory do you teach?

We have a relational, psychodynamic and neuroscientific, theoretical framework. This model is Integrative. Key theoreticians are Freud, Jung, Bowlby, Winnicott, Stern, Perls, Berne, Kohut and Maslow.


8. Minister for Health statement:

"The public don't want drug treatment they want psychotherapy and counselling. Therapy is far too good to be used exclusively with the sick."